Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Design Process...

I'd like give you an idea of how the creative process works when designing a theme custom vehicle. The custom install that we call "the Gator car" started with the customer showing me a Florida Gator’s logo to show the color combination he wanted to use in the building of his dream street custom car. He really had no idea of what he wanted it to look like, something that actually helps me more than you may think. This Gives me the opportunity to suggest the direction of the install based on a few simple questions. He wanted something wild, not necessarily "old school retro" or the typical street rod "modern" look.



I came up with the idea of not only using the Gators colors, but doing a Gators theme install. These are some of the sketches I did to illustrate some of my ideas starting with the dash.

This is one of the plaster carvings that I did that I later cast in resin and chrome painted.




The trunk was to include a three dimensional Gator’s logo. I carved each piece, individually wrapped it in vinyl, and then assembled them together.


The doors were to be 90 degree and motorized. In this sketch you can see the monitors that were originally to be in the doors. That changed to a single screen on the outside of the car "C" pillar. Speaker placement and a few other design ideas changed along the way. By having the customer understanding that nothing is set in stone, I have the ability to create and change elements of the design ensuring the most creative and eye grabbing installs.

Then it begins using the sketches as a rough guide.

Any questions about this post, email me!

No comments: